POLSAF Website, Liverpool Docks Fishing

Just a quick note to anyone who is trying to find out how to get a pass to sea fish the docks at Liverpool.

Please don’t email me about POLSAF permits as i don’t know anything more than the information below.

The Port of Liverpool Sea Angling Federation (POLSAF) have a new website which has all the details about affiliated clubs, rules, areas where we can fish, etc. so if your thinking of trying the docks this winter for the Cod that seasonally show up in the River Mersey it is well worth visiting the POLSAF website.

Sea fishing at Seaforth Dock, Alex Wall and other marks within the Freeport complex is always popular during winter as the venue is safe and secure and usually protected from the worst of the winter storms. Normal beach or rock fishing gear is all that is needed as long casts are not required. Undoubtedly the best bait for the winter season Cod is black lug and peeler crab (if you can get it).

During the warmer months there is a good chance of catching Thornback Ray from Alexendra Dock Wall or Alex Wall as the mark is called, using Sandeel and/or Squid as bait.

27 Comments

1. BRIAN BURNS said:

HI IM AFTER A LICENCE FOR FISHING ON THE ALEX WALL LIVERPOOL ITS BEEN SEVERAL YEARS SINCE I HAVE BEEN THERE FISHING AND WAS GIVEN INFORMATION TO CONTACT YOUR SELVES ABOUT THIS I WOULD BE GRATEFULL IF YOU COULD CONTACT MYSELF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO OBTAIN ONE
    THANKYOU

MY CONTACT No IS 07983301468 CALL ASAP PLEASE ANYTIME THANKYOU BRIAN

December 1, 2010
    • MARK said:

HI IM MARK IM ALSO AFTER A FISHING I FOUND THIS SITE ON GOOGLE I AM LOOKING TO FISH IN LIVERPOOOL THANK YOU
      PLEASE CONTACT ME AT [email protected]

May 21, 2015
      • Stu said:

Hi Mark

I’d recommend looking at Wirral Sea Fishing, they have an excellent forum with many active members in the area. http://wirralseafishing.co.uk

Stu

May 21, 2015
  2. Stu said:

Hi Brian

I’m only in a club that’s affiliated with POLSAF so I can’t help you directly.
    The best thing to do is join one of the affiliated clubs which can be seen on the POLSAF website which is at http://polsaf.co.uk/ – the list of clubs and relevant contact details is at the bottom of the POLSAF website page.

Stu

December 1, 2010
  3. BRIAN BURNS said:

Thanks stu i recently joined Blackpool and Layton Club and within a week of joining and visiting the port police i now have access to fish on the alexandera dock, i approached a number of clubs via the internet with no response i advise anyone attempting to join a club to do it via blackpool and layton angling as it was very fast and efficient no messing around.

December 16, 2010
  4. Stu said:

No problem Brian – glad it all worked out for you, I noticed on the Wirral Sea Fishing forum that you’d joined up. The Blackpool lads are a great crowd, definitely worth getting together with them for their ‘matches’ – great company and a good laff – what more do you need 🙂

December 16, 2010
  5. Tony Nicholson said:

Hi
    We normally go boat fishing but are hoping to fish in and around the docks, we are aware that we will need a licence and we are thinking of starting our own registered club in the south-end of Liverpool. Do you recommend we do this (we have the forms etc), or would it be easier to join an existing registered club? There are a few mentioned above.

Thanks.

Tony.

July 14, 2011
  6. Stu said:

Hi Tony

I don’t know how easy it is to start your own club – which is why I got my permit through BLAS – if there’s no-one local to you though i don’t think it would be much of a problem.

Sorry i can’t be much help in that area

Stuart

July 16, 2011
  7. looking to find out where to obtain 2 licenses/permits to fish the alex wall, seaforth rocks, any help would be most gratefull on how to obtain them. haven’t fished the wall since the mid 80’s early 90’s, very respectfull fishermen always take discarded lines and rubbish home with us , many thanks you can contact me on 07805844101, or email [email protected]

September 9, 2011
  8. Stu said:

Hi James,

The permits themselves aren’t hard to get as you can get them direct from POLSAF http://polsaf.co.uk/ – the problem is the insurance you need.

Hence, I joined BLAS (Blackpool and Layton Angling Society) as their insurance covers all the third party nonsense, and they’re a good bunch of lads. http://www.blasonline.com/

Hope this helps

Stu

September 12, 2011
  9. Paul Ganea said:

Hi
    can somebody let me know the steps needed falowed if I want to spend few hours sea fishing in Liverpool in april and how much I have to pay for that
    Thanks
    Paul

March 25, 2012
  10. Stu said:

Paul

Sea fishing is free all round the UK coast. The charges mentioned above are for access to Liverpool Docks where you need to have valid insurance. If your just after and easy few hours fishing i’d give Otterspool promenade a try 2 hours up to high water and 1 hour down.

March 25, 2012
  11. philippe quilat said:

hi, im from preston and been wanting to fish in liverpool what do i need and if you do sea fishing in liverpool do you have to have a permit anywhere in you fish in liverpool? hope you can give me any information or advice in what to do and where to go.

Phil

June 2, 2012
  12. Stu said:

Hi Phil

It depends on where in ‘liverpool’ you want to fish – the permits mentioned above are for seaforth docks but you can fish anywhere along the river for free. The easiest on this side of the mersey is along otterspool promenade where you generally fish a couple of hours up to high tide and an hour down – pick a smallish tide though otherwise the pull as the tide ebbs will make it un-fishable.

Going over the other side onto the wirrall again anywhere over there either but the best bet at this time of year would be perch rock near fort perch rock lighthouse fishing over low water hoping for thornback ray to sandeel.

Have a look (and maybe join in) with the liverpool based forum wirrallseafishing.co.uk – there’s lots of info on there.

Stu

June 4, 2012
  13. philippe quilat said:

Cheers Stu! 🙂 its a lot of help and info. definitely ill join that wirrallseafishing.co.uk.

June 4, 2012
  14. philippe quilat said:

hi Stu its me again, so se dont need any permit in the perch rock ?

cheers!
    Phil

June 4, 2012
  15. harry said:

hi i use to fish the waterloo dock about 8 years ago, can you still fish from there .

October 24, 2012
    • Stu said:

Hi Harry

I’m not sure about Waterloo Dock. The best thing to do is probably get hold of someone at POLSAF, Port of Liverpool Sea Angling Federation (or something like that) http://polsaf.co.uk/

October 24, 2012
  16. Ste owler said:

Is there any good free shore fishing spots around liverpool as I’m just recovering from heart attack and my lads (grown up now) want to take me fishing thanks

May 28, 2013
    • Stu said:

Hi Ste

One of my favourite marks around the Liverpool area is perch rock on the Wirral, you fish it either side of low water and at the time of year you’d be hoping for thorn back ray. If there’s a bit of surf anywhere along the coast can throw up Bass, best bet for easy access if your recovering is Hall Road, Crosby which you fish a couple of hours either side of high water, for Bass I’d use crab if you can get it or fresh lug.

I’d also advise you to have a look at the forum on the wirralseafishing.co.uk website. Brilliant forum with some great guys on it who are always willing to help.

Stu

May 28, 2013
  17. john wardle said:

Hi I use to live in seaforth as a kid an me an my mates fished the alex an gladstone wall all the time.i no its all permits now but how do I go about them not looking really at joining a club.just me an me mate would love to go back to our old fishing grounds
    thanks john

August 11, 2013
    • Stu said:

Hi John, I’ve not got a permit myself anymore as I’ve not been fishing the docks for a while but the whole reason for joining a club is to get insurance which is what POLSAF required. If you don’t want to join a club the easiest way is to join the angling trust as I think their membership includes insurance.

Hope this help,

Stu

August 11, 2013
  18. Reg said:

i would like to join the mersey pirates club but cannot locate a address/contact can you help would be grateful, thanks

May 6, 2015
  19. John said:

We’re go I get a licance please for the dock fishing ?

January 21, 2016
    • Stu said:

Hi Jon, i no longer know where to get permits – sorry, Stuart

January 21, 2016

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.